FYI: what I'm working on (was "Smalltalk and CORBA")

Bruce Cohen cohenb at gemstone.com
Thu Dec 10 19:55:47 UTC 1998

Craig Latta <Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG> writes:

>> 	I've done a bunch of stuff for a system which forked from Squeak a while ago, in a private corporate project. I am now at liberty to release some of it. I have some new interests, too. This message got long, so taking a cue from Ford Prefect I'll just sum up...
>>
>> 	[in estimated order of appearance]
>>
>> 	(near release)
>> 		scoped closures
>> 			complete exceptions support
>> 				new streams
>> 					net correspondents
>>		event-driven I/O

    I'm very interested in the streams and especially the event-driven
I/O.  How well is the event I/O integrated with the current input (e.g.,
does it come through InputSensor)?  This is an area I'm interested in,
because I want to allow multiple input devices to control different
processes concurrently.
"The end cause ... is too often handed off as an afterthought to harried
interface designers who follow programmers around with virtual brooms
and pails." - Brenda Laurel in "Computers as Theatre"
Bruce Cohen,                               |  email: cohenb at gemstone.com
GemStone Systems, Inc.                     |  phone: (503)533-3602
20575 NW Von Neumann Drive                 |  fax:   (503)629-8556
Beaverton, OR USA 97006                    |  web:   http://www.gemstone.com