building Mac 2.3b VM

C. Keith Ray ckray at pixera.com
Tue Dec 8 18:41:42 UTC 1998

>On Mon 07 Dec, Serg Koren wrote:
>
>> It means what it says ;-) you're using
>> an OLD version of CodeWarrior to compile a newer project.  You can
>> get the tool in the newer versions of CW (which is up to CW Pro 4...
>> of course you'll also need the CW Pro (3 or 4) compiler to compile
>> the updated project ;-).
>Sheesh. There, in a nutshell, is what annoys me so much with Macs - (Oh ,
>and often with windoze as well) you have to open this file with that
>software of such-and-such a version. The idea of simply having makefiles
>seems too complex for them.

makefiles and a sort-of-unix-like command-line environment are available
in MPW Shell, which is available for free somewhere near
<http://www.apple.com/developer/>.

The MPW-based powerpc C and C++ compiler (MrCpp, also free from apple)
can generate the more highly-optimized code than Metrowerks. Some
developers can get a 10% or faster speed increase in their compiled code
by switching to MrCpp for their final build. Also, gcc, gawk, flex,
bison, and other gnu tools have also been ported to MPW shell. MPW Shell
been around for at least 10 years, though it has been free (but still not
open source) only the last year or so.

C. Keith Ray
former MPW Tools and Libraries engineer

C. Keith Ray                  ckray at pixera.com
Sr. Software Engineer         408-341-1800 x 242
Pixera Corp.                  http://www.pixera.com