squeak program delivery, etc

Alex Rice alrice at swcp.com
Thu Dec 3 17:11:09 UTC 1998

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 08:20:21 -0800,
Alan Kay <alank at wdi.disney.com> said:

Alan> Here are partial answers to your questions. An overall covering
Alan> answer to all of the questions is that Squeak is an Open Source
Alan> Software system and all of its code is thus under your
Alan> control. i.e. you can have any answer you wish.

Thanks very much for your notes.

I was impressed with how fast Squeak compiled. In fact, it was so fast I
thought something was wrong, but there were no error messages and it ran
correctly :-) I shall definitely take a look at the source code, yes.

Alan> I don't completely understand this question. There isn't any Microsoft
Alan> licensing of Squeak.

I thought that I read in the mail archive that there was a MS license. I
must have confused that with something else... an MS license of
Smalltalk, not Squeak itself?

Just out of curiousity, why is CORBA not a good way to accomplish
message passing between objects systems?

--
 Alex Rice <alrice at swcp.com>