VM2.2 and 2.3beta unstable on Linux ?

Fred Bacon bacon at aerodyne.com
Wed Dec 23 00:28:55 UTC 1998

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Han Holl wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Id this just me, or is the VM on Linux (2.0.36, different machines,
> different X-servers) quite unstable.
> With the downloaded binary, I could send the VM in a closed loop
> by choosing the nextPage button in the Morphbook (one of the
> play-with-me's).
> I recompiled, and now nextPage works, but, for example, selecting
> '1 + abc' and doing it in the Workspace does not produce an
> error, but causes the VM to freeze. If I kill it via the WM button
> close, it gets in a closed loop.
> Playing around for a bit with the morph interface, is also almost
> guaranteed to get the VM in a closed loop.
>
> It would be nice if someone could confirm this behaviour, or maybe
> there is something wrong with my system(s).
>
> Linux-2.0.36, fresh, hardly updated, RedHat 5.2, with KDE desktop.
> (I tried different Xservers and WM's, but no difference there).

Intel linux?  I built and packaged squeak this weekend, and I see the same
behavior on my mklinux for powerpc installation.  I just assumed that it
was a peculiarity of mklinux.  The MacOS version works beautifully.

By the way, I built an rpm for squeak which can be obtained from my
machine at

ftp://bacon.ne.mediaone.net/pub/redhat/RPMS/ppc/squeak-2.2-1.ppc.rpm
ftp://bacon.ne.mediaone.net/pub/redhat/SRPMS/squeak-2.2-1.src.rpm

The source package should build and install on other architectures than
ppc.  I packaged up a number of squeak html pages for the documentation
portion of the package.  The image, changes and sources files are put in
/usr/local/share/squeak. A script called "newsqueak" will create a new
squeak directory in your home directory and copy the image, changes and
sources there.  This makes it easy to keep the originals intact for
multiple users.

Fred Bacon

Aerodyne Research, Inc.                   Phone:   (978) 663-9500 ext. 273
45 Manning Rd.                              FAX:   (978) 663-4918
Billerica, MA  01821-3976                  http://www.aerodyne.com