parallel processing smalltalk

ssadams at us.ibm.com ssadams at us.ibm.com
Sun Dec 13 04:02:21 UTC 1998

>>the loose-coupling ideas of Linda (and think they
>>are a good start to thinking about a real network "object ecology").
There
>>is a way to think of what Linda does in OOP terms.
>
>any refs, pointers ?

David Gelernter: Mirror Worlds, or The day software puts the universe in a
shoebox, how it will happen and what it will mean
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195068122/qid=913521262/sr=1-2/002-
6182596-3799052
~~Read this when it first came out and just reread it.  I was surprised at
the impact it has had on my thinking over the years.
~~My vote for the most provocative subtitle of all time!

also useful for these kinds of thoughts:

Douglas Hofstadter: Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0465024750/o/qid=913521380/sr=2-1/00
2-6182596-3799052
~~Pay special attention to "codelets"

John Holland: Hidden Order
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201442302/o/qid=913521455/sr=2-1/00
2-6182596-3799052
~~Another kind of loosely coupled programming environment, that grows its
own programming

William Calvin: The Cerebral Code
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0262531542/qid=913521569/sr=1-2/002-
6182596-3799052
~~Yet another kind of loosely coupled programming environment, this time in
your head

Happy Reading!

Sam S. Adams, Distinguished Engineer, IBM Network Computing Software
Division
tie line 444-0736, outside 919-254-0736, email: ssadams at us.ibm.com
<<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, I Corinthians 1:10>>

squeak at cs.uiuc.edu on 12/12/98 01:32:11 PM

Please respond to squeak at cs.uiuc.edu

cc:   recipient list not shown: ; (bcc: Sam Adams/Raleigh/IBM)
Subject:  Re: parallel processing smalltalk