FYI: what I'm working on (was "Smalltalk and CORBA")

Marcel Weiher marcel at system.de
Fri Dec 11 00:57:19 UTC 1998

> 	[in estimated order of appearance]
>
> 	(near release)
> 		scoped closures
> 			complete exceptions support
> 				new streams
> 					net correspondents
> 		event-driven I/O
> 		(other things from my group, which the respective
authors will release [or not])

> 	(in progress)
> 		object interfaces
> 		prototypes
> 		overhauling the Smalltalk compiler
> 		parameterized automatic source formatting
> 		hypermedia photo albums
> 		left-associative natural language parsing
> 		hacking toys (time-consuming due to lack of
documentation :)

OK, here are my interests:

1.	non-intrusive object interfaces for:
	- large-scale software integration
	- new messaging/connection paradigms
	- native-code generation assistance
	- native-bridging assistance
	- distribution assistance (CORBA, etc.)

	Should probably be largely tool- rather than compiler-supported.

2.	integration with MacOS-X-server
	- Objective-C bridge, pluggable native-UI etc.
	- Squeak as scripting/high-level tool-dev language

3.	Research topics
	- composition/refinement of larger scale structures
	  (rough sketch:  redefine base components to be the same as
the products of composition/refinement, make current base components
special case)
	- different messaging systems, other types of connectors and
how they relate
	   (example:  OO pipe-filter can be viewed as a visitor-like
traversal)
	   Work on a streams package would fit right in here.

	- meta systems for non-local coding
	   - support alternate connectors
	   - unify templates and objects (any object is a template!?)

4.	Application research/development (DTP-related)
	- integrating rule-based/interactive layout
	- smart DTP-objects with multiple accumulated representations
	- ...

I think that's the rough idea.  Ouch!

Marcel