Unidentified subject!

Bill Cattey wdc at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 2 23:03:07 UTC 1998

, Ian Piumarta <Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr>
Subject: Re: Unix sound bug not fixed in 2.3 beta.
CC: squeak at cs.uiuc.edu, "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu>

Excerpts from pm.squeak: 2-Dec-98 Re: Unix sound bug not fixe.. "Lex
Spoon"@cc.gatech.ed (1178)

> Anyway, try it with asyncronous support and see if THAT works....  And
> be sure to turn UseReadySemaphore back to 'true'.

The problem with building the asynchronous version is that, since I'm
running with so ancient a version of Linux as RedHat 5.0 (which came out
before the dawn of time, April 1998), I have libc 5.3.12, which is older
than the version you used to hand-integrate LinuxThreads 0.6.

Quite frankly, I'm trying to build a squeak that won't hang when I turn
the page in the demo, or hang when I plunk down a piece of a morphic
script.

Integrating threads feels like more work than I want to do.

Debugging Synchronous mode also feels like more work than I want to do.

Andreas:

This all started with some change around 390 when "disable sound true"
stopped disabling sound.  Is there SOME relief we can get here that does
not involve redoing the basics of how primitives are disabled,
integrating thread packages into Linux, or hanging images?

-wdc