problem with sockets

Asymptotically Approaching Harmony feoh at cosmic.com
Tue Dec 22 04:59:29 UTC 1998

"Michael S. Klein" <mklein at alumni.caltech.edu> writes:

> Now don't get me wrong... I think Squeak's approach to pretending that
> the supporting machine is vanilla is admirable, but i think that a more
> unified approach to handling differences when they arise is warranted.
> Perhaps pluggable primitives can be used to map a "common subset" semantics
> to native calls in image code, rather than VM code.  Of course, one still
> needs to define a reasonable common subset, and I think that, for networking,
> TCP/IP and Berkeley sockets are the way to go.  Is anyone using squeak for
> non-TCP/IP networking?  AppleTalk?
>
> -- Mike

Berkeley sockets are eminently possible on the Mac through a
compatibility library known as GUSI.<I may be mis-spelling that, it's
been a while since I attempted Mac development and bounced off because
I chose a stupid upgrade path and thus the Mac is flaky as all get out
:)>

I'm not sure if this would introduce any siginficant additional
overhead, though.

-Chris
|Chris Patti|ICQ#16333120|feoh at cosmic.com|Home #:(617)625-3194|JAPH|
|"I have opposable thumbs, and I can buy a rifle.  I don't need to |
| run from anything." -Todd Finney				   |