Another mainstream article about Squeak at PCWeek Online

Jarvis, Robert P. Jarvisb at timken.com
Tue Dec 22 20:31:05 UTC 1998

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Peter William Lount [SMTP:paradigm at unixg.ubc.ca]
> Sent:	Tuesday, December 22, 1998 2:51 PM
> To:	squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
> Subject:	Re: Another mainstream article about Squeak at PCWeek Online

	<snip!>
	 As a side note: It's interesting that Sun choose the name of a
highly
> stimulating and addictive drug as the name for it's product, Java. Maybe
> the successes, to date, of Java are actually a result of a coffee induced
> drug state instead of any real technicial merrit? You get to drink you
> Java
> as well as play with it on your computer! Maybe this would work for
> Smalltalk as well? Anyone got any stimulating drug (legal) names that are
> known by the masses that Smalltalk could take over?

Well, if the object is to contrast Smalltalk with Java, how about "Tea"?  I
can easily picture the following ad scenarios:

Japanese samurai dressed in armor; tea ceremony is performed as traditional
Japanese music plays in the background; warrior rises, bows, dons helmet,
steps outside, draws sword and, screaming defiance, charges the enemy (who
may or may not be dressed in pinstripe suits and ties).  Fade out to
message, "Tea - The Choice Of Code Warriors Everywhere".

Pictures of Japanese tea ceremony; tea being served at Chinese imperial
court; tea being served at stuffy English club.  Fade to message, "Tea - The
Civilized Choice For Developers Everywhere".

Picture of traveler on horseback struggling though deep snow/frigid
cold/etc..  In distance lights gleam in humble yurt.  Traveler enters and is
offered a steaming mug of tea by smiling residents.  He smiles gratefully as
he drinks.  Fade to message, "Tea - The Tool That Goes Everywhere".

But I still prefer the name Smalltalk...

Bob Jarvis
The Timken Company