MacSqueak 2.3 and Aliases

johnm at wdi.disney.com johnm at wdi.disney.com
Tue Dec 8 16:39:06 UTC 1998

Folks:

(Users of Squeak on non-Mac platforms can ignore this message...)

We (SqueakCentral) recently upgraded to a newer version of CodeWarrior.
Apparently, there was a change in CW's standard file I/O library that
effects how aliases are handled. It used to be the case that if you opened
up an alias from Squeak, you got the file pointed to by the alias. Now,
however, it opens the alias file itself (which looks like an empty file).

If you were in the habit of using aliases to point to the Squeak
sources file from multiple places, you will discover that you
can no longer browse the source code of methods that were in the
system sources file. Thus, you might consider the following alternative
organization: Keep all versions of the Squeak VM (i.e., versions of the
Squeak executable) in a single folder. Keep your system sources file
in this folder as well. Create aliases to all virtual machine(s) that you
use often, and place them where ever you like.

If anyone knows of a way to make the CodeWarrior "stdio" library
automatically indirect through aliases once again, please let me know.
Thanks!

	-- John

P.S. I've never used the alias indirection feature, so currently don't have
any plans to fix this situation. But if you found that feature essential,
please let me know.