The cadence of Software Engineering.

Bill Cattey wdc at MIT.EDU
Sat Dec 19 20:56:46 UTC 1998

Although I have been aware of Smalltalk for a very long time, (I
mentioned it in my Undergraduate Thesis in 1983) I've not been at all
serious in my study of it until I learned about Squeak this past
October.  For the past 15 years, I'd been doing what I'll call
'conventional' software engineering -- taking on multi-month and multi
year projets to get something done.

Reading Dan Ingalls note about the Squeak 2.3 timeline, I suddenly found
myself in a universe with a VERY different sense of how long things take
to do.  As I've chatted with Squeakers over the past couple months, I
understood that my sense of what to do when and how long it took was
different, but it seems that it's much more different than I imagined.

Let's take a moment to savor how Squeak is changing how we think about
what is possible.

-wdc