squeak program delivery, etc

Alan Kay alank at wdi.disney.com
Fri Dec 4 04:55:15 UTC 1998

Jerry --

At 3:56 AM -0000 12/4/98, JArchibald at aol.com wrote:
>On 12/3/98 11:12:17 AM EST, alank at wdi.disney.com writes:
><< A "net browser" is now just a screen handler that requires almost no code
>>>

>Alan--  Are you referring to Scamper here?

No. Scamper is a "first order" HTML browser done by Lex Spoon of GaTech
this last summer.

What I was pointing out is that objects handled correctly already carry
their important behaviors with them and thus don't need to be interpreted
by a "browser". What you really want on the net is to be able to find and
gather useful objects and ask them to show themselves and respond to
editing commands. This distributes everything except how the user's screen
is allocated. One's "browser" has now shrunk to almost nothing except the
management of screen real estate.

Cheers,

Alan