Squeak book

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Wed Dec 30 19:17:37 UTC 1998

> Joshua Marker <lux at umich.edu> wrote:
>> 	No! Not at all. I turn people on to squeak left and right, but can only
>> do it so quickly because they find it hard to believe and I have to show
>> them myself. I guess they're inundated with the 'better than sliced
>> bread' hype that they don't believe it when it's true. <g> If I had a
>> book I could hand them, written not just for smalltalk but for squeak.
>
> Is there a significant difference?

There are some pretty substantial differences.  Speaking as someone who was
but is not presently a practicing programmer (I'm an IP lawyer), and as
someone who has not seen the Smalltalk-80 books since graduate school in 82
and 83 but dusted them off to play with Squeak, I would love to have seen
more squeak-specific documentation.

There are substantial differences in the BitBlt's, and of course, Morphic.
But the key difference is that window-based user interfaces are not so
brand new anymore -- much of the prose in the books is dedicated to
teaching smart people the essentials of a GUI, which even my Mom
understands as I write this.

Don't get me wrong -- Squeak and Smalltalk-80 are truly wonderful pieces of
technology, at the same time old and hoary, hence mature, yet modern and
full of promise as though it were just invented.  It is a tribute to the
folks at PARC that the system, derived so closely from the original, is as
powerful and useful today in its present incarnation as it is.  Its been
nearly 20 years!  Compare with other languages of that era.  "Back to the
Future" was a tremendously apt title for the Squeak white paper.

Nevertheless, a more "intermediate" reference, devoted to this modern view
of Smalltalk would have been interesting and helpful to me.  I didn't NEED
a book to learn Squeak or Python, but the Smalltalk-80 books and O'Riley
books, respectively on those languages was very helpful to getting up the
learning curve quickly.  Moreover, it would have saved me a lot of time to
have had a simple reference to Morphic and the other deltas between the
Smalltalk-80 books and Squeak-98.

That path would have be substantially less steep with a more modern
exposition of the language and the system.