Configuring a Dynabook (was: Off topic)

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Fri Dec 11 18:28:08 UTC 1998

On Fri 11 Dec, JENS at ejs.is wrote:
> On the hardware side I see the Dynabook (with some extras) something
> like the following:
[big snips]
Much as I find it hard to say anything good about WinCE, you might like to look
at the HP Jornada WinCE machine. It weighs a bit over 2lb, cost about a
thousand bucks, has quite a bit of memory, flash instead of a disk, a fast
StrongARM cpu and seems quite a reasonable machine.
The _big_ advantage of the SA cpu over a pentium in this usage is the power
consuption: a similar PII laptop next it in the display was so HOT that you
could no way imagine having it on your lap. Maybe this explains some of the
reduction in fertility in the western world :-) - more practically of course
the battery life is pretty good.
I hear rumours of a Linux port being worked on, at which point I would probably
buy one - though as Squeak gets better at doing things, maybe it becomes
pleasantly irrelevant which OS is in use?

tim

--
Strange OpCodes: CSD: Charge Surreptitiously to DOE
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)