What's happening with Version 2.3

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Mon Dec 14 17:10:16 UTC 1998

Folks -

I thought some of you would want to know what's happening with Version 2.3, since we usually put out a release within about a week after beta.

Well, exciting things have been happening and, since there wasn't a huge amount of pressure on this release, I thought I would drag things a bit in order to make the final release more interesting and, hopefully, more enduring.

Several things have happened since the beta release...

	We have coaxed another 30 percent out of the interpreter (some figures are even higher).
	We have the beginnings of Squeak Pages actually working.
	Major improvements have been made to the Balloon graphics engine
	Ian has a preliminary Jitter II working.
	A number of you have found (and fixed!) various little bugs in the beta release.

The new Jitter work is integrated through the Pluggable Primitive interface.  As soon as that interface is stable, we will be able to issue new Jitter plug-ins independently of the Squeak release schedule.  It's my hope to reach that point and issue 2.3 by the end of the week.

Please stand by

	- Dan