A suggestion for factoring the list

Serg Koren Serg at VisualNewt.com
Wed Feb 25 02:04:06 UTC 1998

This sounds like the perfect candidate for a Squeak mail filter that
would parse your received email and filter it into the appropriate
folders.  Most decent mail programs have some sort of filter capability
and they can do fairly reasonable boolean filters.

PS- Personally I like things the way they are even though a lot of the
stuff is implementation specific and somewhat over my head ;-)

----- Prof. Moray said:

>OK- sorry I started it!  I'll continue to read everything and do manual
>filtering!  It's probvably good for me in some spiritual way!
>
>neville
>

>>Prof. Moray (n.moray at surrey.ac.uk) said:
>>>I'm very interested in other people's problems - and even more in the
>>>solutions to things which don'ty seem to work, but, for example, I
>>>spoend about 30 minutes a day trashing discussions of hashing,
>>>efficient coding for floats, and so on.  I am happy to bow down and
>>>worship before those clever enough to concern themselves with the
>>>latter kjind of things, but it would be great if there were some way of
>>>saving that 30 minutes to 1 hour each time I log on!
>>
>>I think that one thing which may be overlooked in the discussion of
>>splitting the list is that exchanges on this (and any other) list often
>>stray from the original topic.  What starts as a "newbie" question ("Why
>>do two Floats which should be equal not compare 'correctly'?") may
>>evolve into a discussion of more complex issues involving changes to the
>>class lib or the VM.  If the list is split this evolutionary discussion
>>style might be compromised or lost, leaving us all with less to talk
>>about.  Just an observation...
>>
>>Bob Jarvis
>
>Work email:   N.Moray at surrey.ac.uk
>Home email:  nmoray at globalnet.co.uk
>
>send messages to both if Urgent
>
>Work address:
>DERA Professor of Applied Cognitive Psychology,
>Department of Psychology,
>University of Surrey,
>Guildford,
>Surrey  GU2 5XH
>United Kingdom.
>
>Phone number: +44-(0)1483-300-800 and ask for extension 2865
>Fax: +44-(0)1483-32813
>
>Home address:
>10a Hampstead Hill Gardens,
>London NW3 2PL.
>
>Phone: +44-(0)171-431-4813
>

>"Be well, do good work, and keep in touch"  (Garrison Keiler)

VisualNewt Software: http://www.VisualNewt.com/

Maker of Newt'sPaper(tm) the Premier Newton(R)
MessagePad(tm) News Reader.