Prototypes

Travis Griggs tgriggs at keyww.com
Fri Feb 27 18:33:13 UTC 1998

Ted K. wrote:

>     The problem with prototypes seems to be one of self restraint.  When you decide to make a subclass in the current system, it is a deliberate act.  You pick a name, and consider what instance variables should be there.  With prototypes it would take superhuman self-restraint to keep things neat and well-partitioned.
>
> A common error will be to forget to say "and apply this change to all object like me".  Perhaps we should offer the user the choice each time, of whether this change applies to just this object, or to all similar ones.

I would think, that be default, you would want the behavior to be "apply this change to all objects like me" and that creating instance specific stuff would require a cogniscent action (pressing a command key or something). Maybe we change the "Inspector" to include method browsing features, and you can make instance
specific changes there.

--
Travis Griggs
Key Technology