PWS ServerSocket Problem

Matthew Rosen rosen at sjdccd.cc.ca.us
Tue Feb 3 00:16:25 UTC 1998

Downloaded 1.30 and played with the delightful Pluggable Web Server
stuff included.  All seemed to work well.

I took the image to the office and tried it on a machine there, and ran
into trouble.  After setting the ServerAction class methods
appropriately and executing PWS initializeAll, I executed:

[PWS serveOnPort: 8080 loggingTo: 'log.txt'] fork

just as I had done earlier.  Squeak went into an endless loop (no
response to mouse clicks or Alt period, TaskManager showing 99% CPU
utilization by Squeak).

Debugging the serveOnPort: loggingTo: method, the problem seems to
manifest in the bindTo: backLog: method of ServerSocket.  Oddly,
stepping into the code does not illuminate the cause of the endless
loop, but instead crashes Squeak with the following stack dump:

Mon Feb 02 10:45:04 1998

Current byte code: 0
Primitive index: 87
Stack dump follows:

17982908 [] in ServerSocket>bindTo:backlog:

(i.e. there may be two problems here, one with sockets and one with
debugging?)

The same machine can successfully do things like display html source for
a URL hyperlinked from a comment, for example.

I tried downloading a fresh image and a different machine, with the same
result!  The machine where PWS works is on the same network, but dialed
in via PPP instead of hardwired.  Same OS (WinNT 4, SP3) on both.

Tried the same installation procedure and test on a Mac, and it worked
like a charm.

Any suggestions?

--
Matt Rosen