Double-clickable app proposal

Christopher Oliver oliver at fritz.co.traverse.com
Mon Feb 2 22:09:51 UTC 1998

>  Folks -
>
> What if a Squeak VM file could recognize if an image file were simply
> appended to it, and do the right thing?  Then it should take no more
> to make a double-clickable app than to do a save followed by a file
> copy.

I just don't see this as something that can be portable.  Don't get me
wrong.  I really like applications with an easy launching technique
that don't leave files splattered all over the place.  I just see more
headaches than are saved.  All of a sudden, we need to use intimate
knowledge of platform specific binary formats.  This runs at top speed
away from portability.  Is this a win?  Couldn't this be done instead
with some script mechanism avoiding the proprietary specifics?

Sincerely,

--
Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Communications
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108