Graphics implementation on Windows

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Sun Feb 15 18:13:50 UTC 1998

On Sun 15 Feb, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Coming back to the original question, even if we have appropriate color
> depths in Squeak and in the OS, there is still color conversion necessary
> because in the RGB modes the order of the red, green, and blue parts is
> exactly the other way around the Intel based system wants it :-(
Really? Oh goody! The Acorn does the same and it has been driving me nuts trying  to work out how to deal with it properly. I guess the difference that gets you out of trouble on w95 is the ability to specify the palette even for 16/32bpp
 displays. On the Acorn some nitwit decided that palettes were not need since 'obviously' it was a true rgb format..... grrr.
When I was doing the little endian bitblt I nearly went for making the changes to reverse the rgb order but stopped because it looked like the pc used same format as mac and I couldn't see wasting the time for only the one platform. Now i
f it turns out that pcs need both little endian _and_ reversed rgb, maybe it would be worth it. There is potential for some useful performance improvements.

tim
--
Useful random insult:- Has a one-way ticket on the Disoriented Express.
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 856-7230 (w)