FAT Jitter?

Bruce Bennett bbennett at unixg.ubc.ca
Sun Feb 8 02:25:44 UTC 1998

>Keep in mind that the Jitter is still "work in progress". At the momement,
>it isn't giving the kind of performance boost that we know it to be
>capable of due to several remaining implementation bottlenecks.

A 68K Jitter will be very nice, but may not be urgent. The great
majority of those using old hardware probably consists of newbies and
putzers like myself with little real need for more than passable speed.

>If there is any way to add a second level (L2) cache to your 68040,
>you might find that that improved Squeak's performance.

Eek! I won't spend a penny more on this old boat. In a pinch I can
always cheer myself up by switching the processor cache off, sailing in
mud briefly, then toggling it back on -- the standard VM then seems to
blaze. :^)

-- Bruce Bennett