A suggestion for factoring the list

jarvisb at timken.com jarvisb at timken.com
Tue Feb 24 12:45:59 UTC 1998

Lex Spoon (lex at cc.gatech.edu) spake:
>What if we had an auto-approving moderator for the group?  All mail
>would still go through a central email address, and thus the group
>could still be robustly archived just like now.  Further, that address
>could even echo to a mailing list, for people who have poor or no
>USENET access.

I don't understand what an "auto-approving moderator" for a Usenet group
is.  Does this mean it's a moderated group, but everything gets approved
for posting automagically, just as in an unmoderated group?  If so,
what's the point?  SPAM would not be controlled, nor would this improve
the reliability of Usenet (or would it?).

>Regarding spam, I'll be posting to USENET whether there is a Squeak
>group or not, so it doesn't much matter to me.  Is anyone completely
>boycotting USENET?

I'll still post to Usenet as well, principally because I know of no
mailing lists for some of the topics I'm interested in.  A boycott, eh?
Not a bad idea.  Let's ask Sanford Wallace how he feels about it.  :-)

Bob Jarvis