FYI: Frame rates

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Sun Feb 15 20:03:26 UTC 1998

Hi,

I've been running a number of tests since I was amazed that XFree86 should
be the big winner in frame rates. I've run the tests using the "play with
me - 3" on a Pentium Pro 200 w/ ATI (RAGE II) graphics card using a 1.31
Jitter VM:

bpp	| XFree	| Win95
--------+--------------
8	| 70fps | 53fps
16	| 50fps | 50fps
24	| 30fps | 60fps
32	| 35fps | 55fps

Looks like XFree _is_ the big winner in 8bit screen depth (probably
because it doesn't share the palette with any other app whereas Win95 does
a palette matching) but in other screen depths it goes heavily down.

Note that the above are just arbitrary numbers which cannot easily
compared with any other port or machine (looks like somebody should
propose a display benchmark for Squeak). In particular Windows users won't
get the above rates - the reduced CPU usage brings you down to constant
20fps (adding a preference value for it is already on my todo list).

Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+