Interfaces

Patrick Logan patrickl at servio.gemstone.com
Wed Feb 4 22:33:00 UTC 1998

    Anyway the real reason I started asking about interfaces is that I
    like the notion of components. I wonder if we could do something like
    this in Squeak. Because I think some combination of Morphic,
    Smalltalk and distributed computing (Corba?) would fly.
    Say something?!

As you explore this idea, I'd suggest you leap past Java and consider
an issue of components currently being promoted by Bertrand Meyer, and
promoted  at least as far back as Brad Cox in the late 1980's. That is
Design By Contract. A reusable component is not just a "signature" but
it is also a contract that specifies the conditions under which a
component can be used, as well as the conditions that are guaranteed
afterwards.

Otherwise any component can be replaced disregarding the behavior, so
long as the signature is satisfied.

See http://www.eiffel.com

    There's a new game in Washington....

Charming.

Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl at gemstone.com
Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556
Gemstone Systems, Inc         http://www.gemstone.com