Linux Squeak does squawk!

Christopher Oliver oliver at fritz.co.traverse.com
Tue Feb 17 05:34:15 UTC 1998

> The old synchronous code is left in as an ifdef option.  The
> synchronous code is simpler and more stable, and does not require
> pthreads.

Ach!  At the moment, I am avoiding threads since there seem to be
more than a few differences between the various threads libraries
out there.  I'm trying to implement the whole API regardless of
the lack of true need for insertSamplesFromLeadTime() at the mom-
ent.

> Second, simultaneous reading and writing is not supported.  This is
> possible on some cards, but not all.

I personally think that placing much elbow grease behind major feat-
ures that fragment the users into haves and have-nots sort of goes
against the spirit of freely distributable software.

> sync (1ms poll interval):   1981, 2317, 2273, 2360, 2425, 2411

I was goofing with a tight loop interrupted by an interval timer,
and I found more than a little variation in the intervals much below
40ms.  Assuming 16bit stereo at 44100 samples/sec, given a 64KB DMA
buffer, you should only need to poll every 180ms.

--
Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Communications
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108