Double-clickable app proposal

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 3 16:21:16 UTC 1998

>I just don't see this as something that can be portable.  Don't get me
>wrong.  I really like applications with an easy launching technique
>that don't leave files splattered all over the place.  I just see more
>headaches than are saved.  All of a sudden, we need to use intimate
>knowledge of platform specific binary formats.  This runs at top speed
>away from portability.  Is this a win?  Couldn't this be done instead
>with some script mechanism avoiding the proprietary specifics?

Though I don't know all the details, I'm pretty sure that Python creates
double-clickable apps in just this way.  I remember a command in Python
called "freeze" that would "pickle" (serialize) the state of a set of
Python objects and concatenate it on the end of an executable (or maybe
just prepare it to be compiled into an executable -- I'm fuzzy on the
details) to create a standalone application file.  A 10 minute search in
the Python docs at http://www.python.org didn't turn up the details,
though.

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu