A suggestion for factoring the list

Christopher Oliver oliver at fritz.co.traverse.com
Tue Feb 24 05:51:25 UTC 1998

> What if we had an auto-approving moderator for the group?

I still think it would get slimy in short order.  Quicky exercise:
look at the typical calibre of post here.  Compare it with the
mean post in say comp.lang.smalltalk or camp.lang.lisp.  Another
quicky: how many spams have we received for being part of this list.
Also, people figure out the gimicks of moderation pretty quickly.

> Regarding spam, I'll be posting to USENET whether there is a Squeak
> group or not, so it doesn't much matter to me.  Is anyone completely
> boycotting USENET?

If it weren't in high demand by our customers, I would drop it on the
spot given the degree to which pain of maintenance outweighs the qual-
ity of majority of material.

In short, this list isn't losing by any stretch of the imagination.
I strongly think too much exposure might be a very bad thing.  A
stroll down a quite lane is pleasant, a stroll down an interstate is
a wholly different matter.

--
Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Communications
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108