Incongruent hash (really: using #, for building Points)

Stephen Travis Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Fri Feb 13 17:18:39 UTC 1998

Hi!

HansMartin wrote,

> Maybe introducing comma for building vectors with appropriately defined
> mathematical behavior, and leaving @ for the Points we all love and hate
> would be appropriate.

Wait a minute H-M! First, this is a violation of the semantics of "," meaning
concatenation (as in strings). I tried to use "+" for string concatenation a
number of years ago and was convinced (at the time) by Peter Deutsch that this
was very poor style.

Secondly (in complete violation of the above style issue), there are a number of
other uses of "number, number" (I use it in Siren to create intervals tersely.)

If we're going to differentiate between tuples, 2-D vectors, and points, let's
use more distinct notations for them. How about  a => b  or  #{a b}  or  a _ b
?

stp

_ Stephen Travis Pope
_ Center for Research in Electronic Art Technology (CREATE)
_ Dept. of Music, Univ. of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)
_ stp at create.ucsb.edu,  http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~stp/