CW

Serg Koren Serg at VisualNewt.com
Tue Feb 10 23:17:23 UTC 1998

Well you may have had the pre CW Pro release which came out last year.
The Pro release integrates a lot of things between the environments
(projects, etc.)  CW has been very good at fixing bugs/enhancing.  You can report
bugs via the website or on the news group.  Also, if you download the
"Lite" version, I don't believe it's Pro-like in it's capabilities.

Personally, I don't like VC++ (not only because it's MS).  You're pretty
much limited in having to use MFC/MSL; and the IDE is fairly painful.  If I had
to choose one Windows environment it would be Borland's C++ Builder.  Luckily
I don't have to choose :-)

---- On Tue Feb 10 18:08:29 1998, D. Hugh Redelmeier said ------

>On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Serg Koren wrote:
>
>| I use CW for both Mac and Win (I did an update to Squeak to compile
>| properly under CW Pro 2: http://www.VisualNewt.com/Mac/Squeak124.html)
>|
>| And I use CW on Mac, Win95/NT.  Definitely a nice product since you can
>| move the project files (and source files) across platforms and just
>| retarget...you don't need to have separate project files. Just put it on
>a floppy and
>| move it to the other machine.
>
>Interesting.  I tried the demo version of CW for Win32 last September
>and was surprised by the problems I encountered.  In porting one quite
>small program I found several bugs.  I didn't even find any way to
>report them (since I wasn't a paying customer).
>
>I was porting from UNIX and had done some preliminary work with Visual
>C.  Perhaps when porting from the MacOS world, CW behaves better.
>Perhaps I had bad luck.
>
>The resulting program was significantly faster when compiled with
>Visual C or GCC than when compiled with CW.
>
>Hugh Redelmeier
>hugh at mimosa.com  voice: +1 416 482-8253

VisualNewt Software: http://www.VisualNewt.com/
Maker of Newt'sPaper(tm) the Premier Newton(R)
MessagePad(tm) News Reader.