more MVC questions

Mike Klein mike at twinsun.com
Thu Feb 12 22:36:20 UTC 1998

> This is a common newbie trap.  Opening a window does not return *at all* in
> Smalltalk-80 and old Smalltalk/Vs.  This is why "tv" in the code below is
> undefined: the send of #open:label: eventually results in the execution of
> StandardSystemController>>open which terminates the active process.  The
> assignment never happens.

Well that violates the principle of least astonishment.
I tried going into

	TextCollectorView >># open:label:

and changing the final message send (to the controller)
from #open to #openNoTerminate

and the process still got terminated ?!?!?!?

Undaunted, I put a halt in to try to send thru to see what was going on.
The VM crashed.

Daunted,
     Mike Klein