Incongruent hash

David N. Smith dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Mon Feb 9 15:16:03 UTC 1998

At 2:53 -0500 2/9/98, Travis or Kerrin Griggs wrote:
>Eliot & Linda wrote:
>
>> I shouldn't have spoken so soon.  I've just noticed that in VisualWorks
>>         1 at 1 = 1
>> but
>>         (1 at 1) hash ~= 1 hash
>> :(
>>
>> One more thing to fix...
>
>So, how are you going to fix it? I find use in being able to perform the
>four basic math ops between Points and simple Numbers, but I have never
>had reason to find out if 1 at 1 was equal to 1, and not only that, I don't
>think it should be. This (again) seems like we're playing slave to a
>flawed class heirarchy (not that I have any great alternatives to offer).
>
>Travis Griggs

VW 2.5 thinks that Point is a Magnitude. But points are NOT magnitudes
since it can be true that (p1<p2) is false and that (p1>p2) is false for
non-equal values of p1 and p2. There is, indeed, a broken class hierarchy.

Dave

(PS: I am an equal opportunity Smalltalk basher; I'm happy to point out
flaws in everyones Smalltalk, and to praise, now and then, though it
doesn't come quite as naturally to me :-). IE, I'm not singling out VW for
bashing.)

David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY