Double-clickable app proposal

Maloney johnm at wdi.disney.com
Tue Feb 17 00:22:48 UTC 1998

Andreas:

Here's a variation of your idea that might work if the virus scanners
don't compain:

  make the last four bytes of the file specify the offset of the start
  of the image (i.e. the index of the first byte after the executable).

When you double-click on the file, it would start the Squeak VM as
usual. The Squeak VM would notice that no image file had been specified,
so it would read the final four bytes of the file to find the
start of the image data, and read the image file from there. I suppose
we'd also want to include a several byte tag (say "IMAG") before the
offset so Squeak would know that there reall was an image file attached
to the executable. The logic for noticing that there is no image file
specified is already there, I think.

	-- John