ideas for Squeak projects

Serg Koren Serg at VisualNewt.com
Tue Jan 20 15:00:29 UTC 1998

Various people are already working or have done these ;-)  keep tryin.
Music and internet support are already built into Squeak (apart from the
WindowsCE version).
Someone (I forget who) has just released a an API to Windows I believe.
And someone is working on getting Squeak to boot into its own space.  The
problem with the last two is that it makes Squeak very unportable if
these are used...and Squeak's portability is one of its major benefits in
my opinion (since I use Mac, Windows, WindowsCE, and am working on a BeOS
port).

I haven't looked at the API, but I would hope the Squeak/Smalltalk
portion is built to hook into the API so that the Smalltalk portion could
be reused to hook into other non-Windows APIs.

----- Richard Smol said:

>Hello there,
>
>I don't claim to be a Smalltalk-crack, but after fiddling around with
>Squeak I got ideas for various projects. I don't know if anyone else has
>had similar ideas or even has started something, but I would gladly like
>to know :) Here are my ideas listed by outrageousness:
>
>- Squeak Music
>
>Well, since the Smallmusic project more or less faded away, why not try
>to pick it up in Squeak? The start is there: the limited, but already
>usable sound classes in Squeak. Why not try to make a full-featured
>sequencer and synthesizer? That sould be a lot of fun (especially for me
>since I am a part-time musician ;)  )
>
>- Native windowing support
>
>Although the Squeak windowing system is cool in itself and very adequate
>for most displaying needs, it would be fun if one could use it to
>write programs with a native look and feel. Is anyone up to the
>challenge? >:)
>
>- Squeak OS
>
>This is actually the opposite of the previous idea: free Squeak from the
>burden of it's underlying OS and give it a room for itself. As I see it,
>Squeak actually already is it's own little OS, with all the windows 'n
>stuff ;)  Why not enhance it further? I guess we should start with giving
>it its own bootstrapping capabilties.
>
>I got the idea after trying DOS-Squeak. It more or less made it all feel
>like I was running Windows on DOS, but better, of course ;)
>
>Well, tell me what you think.
>
>Greetz,
>
>RS

VisualNewt Software: http://www.VisualNewt.com/

Maker of Newt'sPaper(tm) the Premier Newton(R)
MessagePad(tm) News Reader.