ideas for Squeak projects - native windowing...

Kohler Markus kohlerm at betze.bbn.hp.com
Tue Jan 20 15:31:52 UTC 1998

Serg Koren wrote:

> My one request would be to keep the Smalltalk portion of the code as
> portable (cross-platform capable as possible).  Try to follow the
> paradigm first set up by Squeak.  Put the hardware specific code into its
> own section under Interpreter Support Code.  Prefix the methods with
> something like sqWinAPI to distinguish it from potential other 'native'
> API sets such as sqMacAPI, etc.  That way us other Squeakers could reuse
> your work on other non-Windows platforms to include the native API sets.
> It's good to keep reminding oneself that "native Squeak" means Mac,
> Windows, Unix, WindowsCE, etc etc.  It just doesn't mean Windows/Unix ;-)
>
> Squeak's mantra should be..."Keep it Portable...Keep it Portable...Keep
> it Portable...but if you can't, make sure you segregate all the hardware
> specific stuff into it's only central class or group."
>
> And remember to add a method to strip the code out if someone doesn't
> want to use it ;-)
>
> Thanks,

Serg,
I agree with you.
I would start with (as Andreas already said) "Removing references to
Display and allow for multiple DisplayMediums to be the screen
representation"
This could be done without any platform specific code.
After that you would have a default implementation for all platforms
without a windowing
system. Then you could add platform specific code/classes and use for
example the Factory
pattern to use different classes for different platforms.

Of course the main question remains. Should we use MVC or Morphic ?
For me Morphic  (with Squeak 1.23) is currently jsut to slow on my Unix
machine
( HP-UX 712/60).

Markus

| Markus Kohler                          Hewlett-Packard
GmbH                |
| Software Engineer                      OpenView Software
Division          |
|                                        IT/E Response
Team                  |