Squeak portability

Serg Koren Serg at VisualNewt.com
Tue Jan 20 19:32:52 UTC 1998

---- On Tue Jan 20 20:11:08 1998, Andreas Raab said ------

>Serg,
>
>> Again my point....who coordinates everything?  Who decides which of  two
>> versions of two classes that do the same thing gets rolled into a version?
>
>That depends on what you want to be coordinated. In the case of any system
>classes (i.e. Interpreter and stuff) it is clearly "Squeak Central" at
>Disney. In any other case the people developing the classes are
>responsible. It's easy isn't it ;-)

Hm...not very efficient.  Still sounds like it doesn't matter and everyone
can be trusted not to break something and to maintain portability/compatability.

>> It sounds like you're saying it's a free-for-all and there is no single
>> point of contact for managing the different changes that are made and
>> released.
>
>I do completely agree with what Ward said. The question is: Who _should_
>coordinate _everything_?

Not who SHOULD...but someone SHOULD.

>> Chaos rules!
>
>Let's put it that way: Squeak is a rapidly changing system. In each
>release a lot of new (or improved) stuff is integrated and yes, in some
>case (as the UDP stuff) things may look less significant to Squeak Central
>than to you. But they (or any other group of people) will probably look
>after it - if you pay them ;-)

Sounds like a cop-out.  You're saying because it's rapidly
changing/developing then we should live with chaos and bad releases and revisions that break
stuff so that when things get bad enough that there ARE no changes because no
one wants to work on/with Squeak anymore because of all the problems THEN
we'll worry about cleaning it up.

Maybe I should just go back to Pascal/C++ right now then  :-(  After all
it sounds like you want to take Squeak down that path as well...

Or is it that everyone is so egotistical that THEIR release/fix is the
best and they can't deal with someone managing their code?

Sad state of affairs for a pretty decent environment right now......

PS - I have no problem with people mungling their own images etc but
they should NOT distribute these releases unless its made clear the
code/images aren't compatible and they should not be called Squeak...ok, so it
takes another week to make your code portable and usable on ALL platforms
with minimal pain, why not take that extra week and make the final product better?
And if you don't have the knowledge/expertise to do so, it sounds like
this group doesn't lack for creative/knowledgable people to ask for help.  Ask!
VisualNewt Software: http://www.VisualNewt.com/
Maker of Newt'sPaper(tm) the Premier Newton(R)
MessagePad(tm) News Reader.