ideas for Squeak projects

Richard Smol jazzcat at dds.nl
Tue Jan 20 10:56:50 UTC 1998

Hello there,

I don't claim to be a Smalltalk-crack, but after fiddling around with
Squeak I got ideas for various projects. I don't know if anyone else has
had similar ideas or even has started something, but I would gladly like
to know :) Here are my ideas listed by outrageousness:

- Squeak Music

Well, since the Smallmusic project more or less faded away, why not try
to pick it up in Squeak? The start is there: the limited, but already
usable sound classes in Squeak. Why not try to make a full-featured
sequencer and synthesizer? That sould be a lot of fun (especially for me
since I am a part-time musician ;)  )

- Native windowing support

Although the Squeak windowing system is cool in itself and very adequate
for most displaying needs, it would be fun if one could use it to
write programs with a native look and feel. Is anyone up to the
challenge? >:)

- Squeak OS

This is actually the opposite of the previous idea: free Squeak from the
burden of it's underlying OS and give it a room for itself. As I see it,
Squeak actually already is it's own little OS, with all the windows 'n
stuff ;)  Why not enhance it further? I guess we should start with giving
it its own bootstrapping capabilties.

I got the idea after trying DOS-Squeak. It more or less made it all feel
like I was running Windows on DOS, but better, of course ;)

Well, tell me what you think.

Greetz,

RS