Bug Fixes

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Tue Jan 20 01:54:36 UTC 1998

Georg Gollmann <gollmann at edvz.tuwien.ac.at> wrote...
>The pool dictionary TextConstants has lost most of its contents in version
>1.3.
>Has this been done on purpose, or what is the "official" content that
>client classes can rely on being there ?

This was accidental.  In producing 1.3 we had to go through a process of
removing extraneous additions from an image that had evolved for a number
of months to support some internal projects here.  There were many fonts in
TextConstants that were programmaticaly removed in this process.
Unfortunately, almost everything else got removed as well, as you have
discovered.

Andreas is correct that
	Text initTextConstants
will restore most of them.  I want to point out, though, that a search for
all references to one of those pool variables will not necessarily find all
references after this re-initialization, due to the fact that there will be
both an old and a new instantiation of the Association objects in this
dictionary.  If this matters to you, I would suggest recompiling the system
	Smalltalk recompileAllFrom: 'A'
(this takes a while) after executing the above initialization.

When we are "back in the office" (a week from today), we will collect all
the problems that have been noted by that time, and assess the best way to
get a coherent and effective set of bug fixes out to everyone.  You can be
sure that your bug reports are vital to this process, and that we will
address them as soon as we get back.

Andreas is also correct about disabling sound, and we agree with his
suggested fix for the problem noted by Robert Fuhrer.

	- Dan