Squeak 1.3 available for MacOS and Unix

Ian Piumarta piumarta at prof.inria.fr
Sat Jan 17 20:31:51 UTC 1998

Squeakers,

I have placed copies of the Squeak 1.3 release in the following
locations:

    ftp://alix.inria.fr/pub/squeak/mac/Squeak1.3.sea.bin	[MacOS]
    ftp://alix.inria.fr/pub/squeak/unix/Squeak-1.3		[Unix]

The MacOS version comes direct from "Squeak Central" this morning, and I
am releasing it with Dan's blessing.

The Unix version was compiled while I was logged in via a modem, so I
have not had chance to test the binaries.  Please let me know of any
problems ASAP so that I can take the necessary action (read: take the
relevant bus to INRIA ;).

I have appended selected highlights from Dan's description of "what's
new in 1.3".  The full text of Dan's message can be found in the image,
along with some new examples in the "welcome" window..

Andreas has a Win32 version ready, which he will be making available
shortly on his FTP site.

I will post release notes for the Unix version in a separate message.

All versions of 1.3 should be appearing at UIUC (and its mirrors)
shortly.

Happy Squeaking!  Regards,

Ian

	Extracts from 1.3 release notes...

New Virtual Machine
  With the release of Squeak 1.3 we are including two complete copies of
  the Squeak VM.  The first, referred to generally as "Squeak VM 1.3" is
  simply an updated version of the standard bytecode interpreter that we
  have been using for the last year or so.  The second, referred to as
  "Squeak Jitter 1.3", translates Squeak bytecodes on demand to a more
  efficient representation for faster execution.

Support for Text Style and Links in Source Code
  Remember the discussion after OOPSLA about better documentation and
  navigation?  Thanks to the work of Ted Kaehler, this version of Squeak
  allows creation of hyperlinks in text, and preserves them (and most text
  styles) in source code and class comments!

New Sound and Music Facilities
  John Maloney has overhauled Squeak's sound synthesis code, improving the
  treatment of volume envelopes and left-right stereo pan, and greatly
  improving the variety of FM-generated timbres.  As part of the same
  overhaul, Squeak can also now read MIDI files.

A Complete WikiWiki Server
  Do you remember the e-mail discussion about a better medium for sharing
  progress on Squeak?  Ward Cunningham offered up access to his WikiWiki
  server and things began to happen.  Mark Guzdial picked up Georg
  Gollman's web server, made it more flexibile, and then he and his
  students built a WikiWiki server in about 15 pages of Squeak.

  We are indebted to Ward, Georg, and Mark for this delightful artifact.

Numerous little bug fixes such as...
  Stack error on failure of primitveSomeInstance
  Bag asSet
  MethodDictionary do: