ideas for Squeak projects

Richard Smol jazzcat at dds.nl
Tue Jan 20 16:07:23 UTC 1998

Op Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Serg Koren schreef:

> Music and internet support are already built into Squeak (apart from the
> WindowsCE version).

Well, they're mostly SOUND-classes. There is some basic ability to deal
with MIDI, but there is more to music software than that :)

> Someone (I forget who) has just released a an API to Windows I believe.

I still didn't get that one to work properly >:) I also don't know if you
could actually deal with native windows with it.

> And someone is working on getting Squeak to boot into its own space.  The
> problem with the last two is that it makes Squeak very unportable if
> these are used...and Squeak's portability is one of its major benefits in
> my opinion (since I use Mac, Windows, WindowsCE, and am working on a BeOS
> port).

Having a not-so-portable Squeak OS doesn't mean that Squeak
programs or images won't be portable anymore.

Right now, Squeak is the project of a lot of seperately working
individuals, adding more and more classes to the system. This is okay,
but for bigger projects (like Squeak Music) a more cooperative effort
would be desirable >:)

Greetz,

RS