Smalltalk Design Question

Ranjan Bagchi ranjan.bagchi at pobox.com
Thu Jan 29 21:18:41 UTC 1998

That'd be cool.  Implementation, I guess, would be through some kind of
collection of semantic rules which tranform what you type into what it
thinks should be there (realizing that '4' is equivalent to 'Four' is
equivalent to 'four', blah blah blah).

My only question regarding actually doing this would be of efficiency -- I
remember seeing at one of the PPD developer conferences a package which
would make the editing view in the browser automatically color and format
the code -- as it was typed in.  Sort of like what Visual C++ does.  In
fact, nearly exactly, because it used a DLL and external calls -- the person
who wrote it said that the smalltalk implementation ran too slowly.

'Couse that was back when a p133 desktop was top of the line and would set
you back 4000.  Go Moore, Go.

    -rj