Squeak portability

Ian Piumarta piumarta at prof.inria.fr
Tue Jan 20 20:27:51 UTC 1998

At the risk of saying something utterly inappropriate...

> Chaos rules!

Not really.

> for bigger projects (like Squeak Music) a more cooperative effort
> would be desirable >:)

Then it's up to you to identify a specific project and coordinate the
effort.  Even though you've not heard much about them in the last month
or two (since the UIUC machines went AWOL) there are several streams of
significant development going on, with particular groups of people
involved in each one.  You would do very well to browse the list archives
to get a better idea of what's happening -- the last month's traffic is
not really representative enough to shed much light on this.

> who coordinates everything?  Who decides which of two versions of two
> classes that do the same thing gets rolled into a version?

The core of the system is controlled by a team led by Alan Kay, currently
at Walt Disney Imagineering, which includes many of the original Xerox
Parc Smalltalk people.  They have the last word over what does or does
not make it into an "official" Squeak release.  This team is represented
on the list mainly by Dan Ingalls and John Maloney.

> And I still haven't gotten any response as to what the OFFICIAL
> versions of Squeak on the various platforms are and who is charge of
> them

The Windows version is maintained by Andreas Raab, who you have read on
the list recently.  The Acorn port is the work of Tim Rowledge, although
he has been a bit quiet of late.  Paul Fernhout (sp?) is Mister Squeak On
Newton (imminently ;), and I'm very sorry that I can't remember the names
of the incredibly enterprising individuals who ported it to WinCE and a
couple of OS-less platforms -- but there _are_ "recognised gurus" for
those too.  (I'm "in charge" of the Unix ports, but that doesn't involve
much more than typing "make" in the right place at the right time. ;)

> and what the process is on creating/submitting code into it.

Bug reports have in the past always been posted here.

There is a sort of "Squeakiquette" that has emerged over the past 18
months or so for larger bodies of code (making code available on the net
and then announcing it here might be a fair summary) -- but you need to
browse the archives (or just sit and observe the list for a while) to see
how it works.  Anything goes, really -- which works very well since the
Squeak community is composed of a very "civilised" bunch of people.  (The
refugees from comp.lang.smalltalk maybe? ;-)

As far as "creating code for it" goes, the more the better!!

If you haven't already, you should definitely read Ted Kaehler's Squeak
page at UIUC, and browse Ward Cunningham's Squeak WikiWiki server at
www.c2.com:8080, which explain a *lot* about the "Squeak culture and
community".  (The latter could be considered as a "surrogate FAQ" for
Squeak -- the two "trip reports" from last year's OOPSLA in particular
contain excellent overviews of the "Squeak community".)

Hope this helps.  Regards,

Ian
Ian Piumarta, INRIA Rocquencourt,          Internet: Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr
BP105, 78153 Le Chesnay Cedex, FRANCE         Voice: +33 1 39 63 52 87