Makefile quesion: #include "sq.h"

Brian Wildasinn bwildasi at csulb.edu
Sat Jan 10 13:07:15 UTC 1998

I've got a Makefile question for Squeak-1.23c2:

Does anyone know why sqFilePrims.o, sqSoundPrims.o, sqUnixNetwork.o, and

sqXWindow.c apparently aren't reading in their header file "sq.h" so
that the proper symbols are geting defined during compile time, such as:

       #make ...
        sqFilePrims.o: Undefined symbol `_success" referenced from text
        segment.
        [snip]

The sq.h file definitions don't seem to be getting into the above files,

though the #include "sq.h" is at the top of each file.

A Squeak Makefile is needed, which I'm trying to do,  to work on
a NetBSD-1.3 unix system which has not yet got a port of Squeak. Ian
Piumarta
<piumarta at prof.inria.fr> helped me out with sqUnixConfig.h by suggesting

to include the gcc generated system info through gcc -E -dM c.c, which
gave the m68k specifics. --although the /* remarks */ header notes in
sqUnixConfig.h mentions lots of "HAS_SOME_FUNCTION" stuff that most
config scripts seem to deal with--or can those be used as compiler
flags, eg, gcc -DHAS_SOME_FUNCTION=1? Anyway, Ian mentioned that nobody
yet has
created a config script for Squeak. Is that still the case?

By the way, I've been using Squeak on this same exact m68k cpu box
running on top of MacOS 7.5.  Under NetBSD unix I've been tinkering
with  gnusmalltalk-1.1.5 blox and stix browsers. The former is a more
robust class
heirarcy browser than the demo-like, but quicker stix browsers. I'd like
to compare
unix gst and Squeak once they successfully port."./configure" works on
gst, whereas Makefile for Squeak needs the "#include sq.h" resolved.

Any help is appreciated!

Sincerely,

Brian Wildasinn
bwildasi at csulb.edu