Windoze Scrollbar Junta available as soon as.....

Sam Adams ssadams at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 20 19:23:37 UTC 1998

As soon as I can figure out how to post goodies to the UIUC site.  Any ideas?
I checked the web page but didn't see how.

About the scroll bar junta:

I have implemented a "container" view and controller that provide a Windoze95
"look" scrollbar while suppressing our beloved flop-out.
There are two change sets:
---The first implements the scrollbar view and controller with some help from a
few *benign* modifications to the windowing classes (read: dirty hacks that are
transparent to normal operation of standard scrollbars).  Simply use the view
as a container for your normally scrollable view.  Loading this set will not
change the look and feel of any existing window, only those with which you want
to code it in.
---The second is the actual junta.  It modifies all the window construction
code in the image in order to install these container views in the right
place.  Any existing windows on the desktop will still have old scrollbars, any
new ones will look and feel a lot more like your Windoze desktop.

While the look and feel is currently hard-coded for Windows, alternatives for
different platforms may require a little coding for the "look", but possibly
significant coding for the "feel", depending on how different they are from
Windoze.  I don't have the other examples available, so I will leave that up to
a devotee of those platforms.  Once alternatives are developed per platform, we
can refactor this work into something more general and permanent.

Note:  This junta is only intended as a "pink plane" hack to enhance
productivity and let the audience at your demos focus on something else besides
"those weird scroll bars."

Sam S. Adams, Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research RTP
tie line 444-0736, outside 919-254-0736, email: ssadams at us.ibm.com
<<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, I Corinthians 1:10>>