A Variety of Squeak-ish Questions

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 21 18:26:06 UTC 1998

I've been saving up a list of general Squeak questions, and when adding one
today, I decided to ask them all at once:

- What's the easiest way of moving a method from one protocol to another,
or a class from one category to another?  For the former, I've been
cutting-pasting code, but I can't figure out how to do the latter.

- I have some ordered collections that contain BlockContexts (e.g., the
backup jobs list in PWS).  When I inspect the collection, I just see
"Undefined DoIt".  If I inspect deeper, I can get to the bytecodes, but
that's just a bit too far for me.  Is there anyway to see what the original
BlockContext looked like?

- I'm confused about ChangeSets vs. Projects vs. Change files.  Ted K.
recently suggested that I look at the Change Sorter, which is a majorly
cool gadget.  But I suddenly discovered that, in my 1.23 image, I had the
new things from 1.21 and 1.22 in different change sets.  But I had no
projects with those names, and I thought that ChangeSets and Projects were
related.  And then I started wondering how these all resided in the same
Changes file -- they must, mustn't they?  Is there a paper or something
that explains all of this?

- What is the maximum size of a DoIt?  I exceeded it today.  I was adding
students to our PWS-based turnin/grading browser, three lines per student
and 120 students.  When I tried to select and execute the whole block of
code, I got an error about "classEncoding not understood" which I didn't
understand.  I then tried executing the code in three chunks -- and that
worked fine.  I think I blew up some limit.  Where is that limit?  Is it
something I can change?

Thanks!
 Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu