Transcendental Numbers

Ralph E. Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 31 04:47:20 UTC 1998

At 11:20 PM 1/30/98, Hamish \(DP\) Harvey wrote:
>A minor reorganisation and some small changes let it file in. If it works
>properly I still don't know, though matrix multiplication looks OK. One
>thing which has come up, though: several methods use local variables in
>blocks thus:
>
>aNumber isComplex
>        ifTrue:
>                [| u v |
>                u := ...snip...
>
>which squeak doesn't like.

Block temporaries are now standard ANSI Smalltalk, but was not in the original
Smalltalk-80 nor yet in Squeak.  You can probably convert all those methods
by pulling the temporaries up to the method level, i.e.

| u v |
aNumber isComplex
        ifFrue: [u := ...snip...

I'd appreciate getting the changed version back in the archive!

-Ralph