On the security question...

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Mon Jan 12 01:28:09 UTC 1998

On Sun 11 Jan, Christopher Oliver wrote:
>   I forgot to ask; does the snapshot primitive write objects which are
> not live but not yet garbage collected to the image file?
The primitive simply dumps object memory to a file; it's up to the Smalltalk code that does all the concommitant work to make sure it can be done properly.

Typically, a garbage collect is done, files are closed, sockets shut down, lights turned out, note left out for the milkan etc just before the snapshot prim is called. An old 'classic' tech support problem is caused by unwary users arrang
ing for snapshots to be done by a background process... so the snapshot file has something almost, but not quite, entirely useless in it, since the careful shutdown either doesn't get done or is effectively _un-done_. Bad news when the cu
stomer is a major corporation and the person who suggested it is high profile 'expert' :-)

tim
--
"How many Trinoc does it take to change a lightbulb?"
"Why do you want to know about our maintenance schedules? Are you planning