Serial Port access from Squeak

Todd Coram tcoram at pobox.com
Wed Jan 14 04:17:21 UTC 1998

Todd Coram wrote:

> I haven't looked at Squeak's Socket classes yet...
> Is there enough support in Squeak's Socket classes to "simulate" the Serial
> primitives?

It looks like the Socket class provides what I need.

A couple of readers responded to this message with confusion over what I meant by
using sockets to "simulate" the Serial primitives.

In a nutshell, I would create a simple TCP based serial port "server" in C (or most
likely, Java w/ a free serial comm DLL) that would handle requests such as
SET_BAUD_RATE, IS_CHAR_AVAILABLE?, READ_BYTE, WRITE_BYTE to manipulate a real serial
port. This is fairly trivial code.  Then I would implement a Serial class in Squeak
that would use Socket to send those requests.  Once I get the camera working, I can
then concentrate on replacing the Socket class method invocations with actual
system-dependent primitives ( I would be looking for help at this point...).

The serial port server could still be useful, since the camera would be able to serve
pictures over a network.... hmmm

Since I am not a Win32 programmer (I don't have a Microsoft/Borland/etc C compiler), I
am not equipped to modify the VM at this point and time...

Okay, okay... I now will now release my monopoly on this Squeak list  to return you to
more  Squeak-specific topics...

---
Todd Coram (Maroc Ddot)
tcoram at BLaCKSMITH.com | tcoram at pobox.com