Squeak 1.3 unusable

Richard Smol jazzcat at dds.nl
Sat Jan 31 12:54:26 UTC 1998

Hi there,

For a while now I have been trying to get Squeak 1.3 to work on various
sytems (Windows 96, Linux, Mac). I haven't been able to do anything
useful with it yet though. I get it to start, but anything more
complicated than 'hello world' like stuff results in errors.. or hangs my
system (any of them). Heck, evensimply opening views often fails.

I can't load any *.st or *.cs files. When I import Newsagent.st or the
stuff from the Windows Junta and try to get them to work, it always
results in 'message not understood' and whatever errors indicating that
there are commands missing. Trying to fix things by hand usualy leads to
cascading error messages popping up all over the place... and I am not
that good in low-level programming in Smalltalk yet to solve them easily.

I love the whole concept of Squeak, but as it is now it's not of much
use to me. But before I delete the thing from all my systems forgood, I
want to give it one more chance. So, could anyone point out to me what the
heck I might be doing wrong? What precautions should I take to make
Squeak work properly, otherwise than stated in the (skimpy) documentation.

Thanks in advance!

Greetz,

RS