Case-insensitive selectors

David N. Smith dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Thu Jan 29 21:18:51 UTC 1998

At 11:53 -0500 1/29/98, Dan Ingalls wrote:

>3.  One step which would help with the real problem, without any
>significant compatibility issues, would be to recognize and discourage the
>definition of a method whose pattern is equal to an existing pattern in
>letters but not in case.

I like this, and it sounds like 3 lines of code in the right place in the
compiler. It's very similar to the current feature which complains when
there is NO method which matches (which should take care of isUpperCase
versus isUppercase kinds of situations already).

However, I've never had much problem with spelling methods with difference
character cases and not immediately finding the misspellings, and IMHO I
don't think it's worth much effort to fix.

Dave

David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY