Problem in 1.30

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Mon Jan 19 19:35:46 UTC 1998

Bob,

> An annoying problem has surfaced in 1.30, on my machine at least.  I'm
> running on a machine without sound support, and after bringing up the
> 'Play With Me - 4' example in 1.30 I find I get a walkback every time I
> try to move from page to page using the controls in the upper left part
> of the screen.  Bringing up a debugger shows the following message
> sends:

'Play With Me - 4' uses sound when turning the pages. Since you seem to
have no sound card installed that's a bit of a problem. I don't think that
returning true on a missing hardware is a good idea. Rather than this I'd
like to add a flag 'disableSounds' to Preferences and modifying some
method appropriately (see below).

Hope this helps,
  Andreas

'From Squeak 1.3 of Jan 16, 1998 on 19 January 1998 at 8:34:06 pm'!

!Preferences class methodsFor: 'initialization' stamp: 'ar 1/19/98 20:31'!
chooseInitialSettings
	"Restore the default choices for Preferences."
	"Preferences chooseInitialSettings"

	self setPreference: #reverseWindowStagger toValue: true.
	self setPreference: #thoroughSenders toValue: true.
	self setPreference: #uniformWindowColors toValue: false.
	self setPreference: #warnIfNoChangesFile toValue: true.
	self setPreference: #warnIfNoSourcesFile toValue: true.
	self setPreference: #disableSounds toValue: false.
! !

!SoundPlayer class methodsFor: 'playing' stamp: 'ar 1/19/98 20:32'!
playSound: aSound
	"Reset and start playing the given sound from its beginning."
	Preferences disableSounds ifFalse:[
		aSound reset.
		self resumePlaying: aSound.
	]! !

Preferences chooseInitialSettings.!

--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+